Cutting-edge research organisations transforming UK capability and driving economic growth
Established by Innovate UK, Catapults turn ideas into reality in key areas of UK strength, helping businesses access global growth markets, anchor high-value jobs and attract inward investment.
The Catapult network currently operates facilities worth £1 billion across 24 countries. Since 2012, it has supported more than 15,000 small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and delivered over 600 academic collaborations. In 2018-19 alone, the Catapults worked with over 5,300 businesses.
Each Catapult specialises in a different area of technology. All of them offer unique, world-class facilities and expertise that enable businesses to solve key problems, develop new products and services, and accelerate commercial success and adoption.
They also work collaboratively with the UK research base to promote knowledge exchange and exploitation of early-stage discoveries, and with supply chains, charities, service providers, end-users and others to drive innovation.
The network consists of nine Catapults located across the UK:
- Cell and Gene Therapy – London and Stevenage
- Compound Semiconductor Applications – South Wales
- Connected Places – London and Milton Keynes, with offices in Leeds and Glasgow
- Digital – London, plus 4 regional centres
- Energy Systems – Birmingham and Derby
- High Value Manufacturing – consisting of 7 centres and a number of outreach centres
- Medicines Discovery – Alderley Park in Cheshire
- Offshore Renewable Energy – Glasgow, Blyth and Levenmouth, plus 4 coastal locations
- Satellite Applications – Harwell in Oxfordshire, plus 5 regional centres